Wednesday 30 September 2009

NO MORE RULES - GRAPHIC DESIGN AND POSTMODERNISM

This book has some interesting parts although some of it I did find a little difficult to get through. It explains and goes though the upheavals in the field of graphic communications in the last 25 years. It shows how the rules of graphic design have been ripped apart over the years.
'Rules are Made to be Broken. Before you start breaking rules you should know what they are.' JOHN LEWIS.

The book is split in to chapters Origins, Deconstruction, Appropriation, Techno, Authorship, Opposition. I think my favorite section was Deconstruction.
All in all this book introduced me to new graphic designers which I had ent come across before and taught me alot about the industry. One artist which grabbed my eye was Jamie Reid who has done work for the sex pistols as shown below.
It's worth a read to gain more knowledge on the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment